If you do not have a status of residence
In order to apply for a "Student" status of residence, you will need to apply for a "Certificate of Eligibility" (COE).
For international students who do not reside in Japan, Waseda University will apply for the COE on behalf of the student. (only when the student is applying for a "Student" status)
The application procedure is as follows:
For information on the necessary documents and where to send the documents, please make sure to check the information from the office of the school/graduate school you are scheduled to enroll at.
- The Certificate of Admission is issued only to those who have made the second deposit.
- Make sure to give yourself plenty of time when making the application, since it takes 2 to 3 months to issue a COE.
- A COE is valid for 3 months. Be sure to acquire a visa and enter Japan within 3 months after the issuance of COE.
For those who plan to enter Waseda University as a MEXT student
Japanese Embassies are responsible for the procedures related to status of residence for entering Japan. For details, please contact the Japanese Embassy in your home country.
If your current status of residence is "Student"
If you already have a "Student" status of residence, be sure to apply for extension of period of stay when necessary. You can apply from 3 months prior to the expiration date on your residence card. However, please note that Waseda University cannot provide the necessary document (application form for organization) until 3 months prior to the date of enrollment. (for details of procedures, click here)
If you wish to apply for extension of period of stay earlier, please do so through the educational institution you are currently enrolled in.
- The "Student" status is only for individuals who are enrolled in an educational institution. If you do not belong to an educational institution, your status of residence may be revoked at the discretion of the Immigration Services Bureau. If there is an interval between the time you leave your current educational institution and the time you enroll at Waseda University, you will need to apply for a "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)". For procedures to apply for a COE, click here.
If your current status of residence is other than "Student"
If your status of residence is "Long Term Resident", "Dependent", etc., no application procedures are necessary. However, if you wish to change your status of residence to "Student", please apply for change of status of residence. For details of documents and procedures for this process, click here.
- Please note that Waseda University cannot provide the necessary document (application form for organization) until 3 months prior to the date of enrollment.
If you are in Japan under "Temporary Visitor" status of residence
If you are currently in Japan with a "Temporary Visitor" status of residence, as a general rule, you will need to leave Japan to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility. For details of necessary procedures, please click here.
You could be punished for illegal residence if you repeatedly leave and enter Japan on a "Temporary Visitor" status to study at Waseda University.